Becoming a programmer is a cumulative process that builds up your skills day after day and year after year, and programming can be fun and rewarding (mentally, spiritually and financially).
This guide does not promise to give a magically easy way to becoming a programmer, and the ordering of the steps is not sacred, but you'll get a general outline of how to become a programmer in one of the modern programming fields.
Take an introductory course in one (or both) of the following disciplines:
- Discrete mathematics
Learn database concepts such as tables, views/queries and procedures. You can use any simple database package to do this, such as:
- MS Access
- DB V
- Fox Pro
- SQL Server
- MySQL is a good database to learn because it’s free, commonly used, and databases are commonly accessed with SQL queries
3. Choose a Programming Sector. Decide what type of programmer you want to be. Programmers generally fall under one of the following categories:
- Web Designer
- Web Programmer
- Desktop Application Programmer
i. Operating system (OS) oriented programmer(tied to a single operating system or set of operating systems)
ii. Platform-independent programmer
4. Distributed Applications Programmer
5. Library/platform/framework/core programmer
6. System programmer
i. Kernel programmer
ii. Driver programmer
iii. Compiler programmer
4. Don’t think you can code? Learning a programming language can take several months. You might be able to learn how to create your own a web site in 2 months’ time. Creating your own web application could take up to 6 months’ time. The programming world is also changing and now there are new technologies using which you can develop apps with no coding at all. People started developing web sites and web applications using click and create web site builders and web application builders.
If you need to create a simple web site, you can quickly create one at www.simplesite.com. Click here to compare the top 10 places where you can create web sites “Compare Web Site Builders”.
If you would like to create a web application with data entry forms, visit http://appsfirst.BizFirstOnline.com You will be able to create a fairly complex database application without any coding skills very quickly. Many companies that cannot afford a programmer are using this to create their web applications. Watch the videos here.